Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pretentious, or portentious?

So when I misguidedly (see comments) told my mother that I had started a blog, "A View of the Thoroughfare," she immediately castigated me for the twee title. I knew when I came up with it, that it would more or less make me the laughingstock of my family, so I took her criticism with a certain degree of stoicism. As a rebel, I am prepared to face the consequences of my iconoclastic choices. I felt justified. I write this blog on the occasions I am at my desk, where the view is, in fact, of the thoroughfare. "Thoroughfare" also deserves more use: it's lovely to say and breaks down into three distinct words, "tho" "rough" and "fare," which could be part of some poetic and inspirational saying about surviving in spite of a diet of raw food. Possibly coined while enduring a visit to the Nearings.

Of course, immediately after mocking me for the title, she jumped to the assumption that this type of blog would be perfect fodder for certain New England publications. She is now planning her retirement on the assumption that I will be snatched up as a columnist for at least one glossy magazine that celebrates the photogenic and prose-worthy bits of Maine.

Also, Mom- since you read this, just know that I reserve the right to fictionalize you. Artistic license comes free of charge when you pick a pretentious title for your work. Seriously, I looked it up on wiki.

2 comments:

LynneW56 said...

Reading this at 3:00 a.m., I was a little surprised about the fictionalization until I realized you had gotten your artistic license. At least you didn't portray me as incontinent. Or any continent.

Anonymous said...

Blog! And agreed, "thoroughfare" is a perfectly lovely word, with the rolling trippingly, and all.