Friday, November 2, 2007

On Blogging:

I have been neglecting my friendster blog. I chronically neglect my myspace profile.

Shit- I need to go put the baguettes in the oven.... and obviously I lied about the G rating of this blog, having already said "shit." Give me a moment... the last time I attempted to make baguettes they came out as truncheons that smelled deliciously of bread. This time I am hoping they will be slightly less weapon-like.

Back to blogging.

I live on an island. Again. This time it's an island without a bridge and a substantially smaller population. Think 45 people in the winter. Everybody on the mainland has insisted that I write about it- "you are going to keep a diary right?" or "You have to write a novel!" Anyone who knows me knows that I will squander the experience writing occasional letters, journal entries, and tiny pieces of novels and stories that will languish in piles until I bury them in storage boxes.

As always, I do have good intentions: just as I hope to consolidate my massive student loans, so too do I hope to consolidate my scribblings. Maybe. I should still write letters. Because with a general delivery address people will want to write to me, and really I should take the time to enjoy using "general delivery" as my return address. So I will still try to do my part to support the USPS. And not be a non-responsive snail mail jerk.

Oven is heated!

Blogs are odd, and starting one requires a certain degree of narcissism. Keeping one requires a certain degree of dedication.

Pause to clean up my cat's sick-up: is it an editorial comment, I wonder?

Obviously I've got what it takes to start a blog, but will I keep it up? Feel free to start a betting pool. Also, I will try not to let this become entirely about my attempts to become a passable baker.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, your mother is very proud. But a little concerned that you didn't mention finishing your thesis. So I thought I would. Yes, I am a good mother. Wouldn't want you to squander all that college loan money on an unfinished degree! Although if the blog leads to published writing, which leads to money, which leads to fame, you could get that honorary degree, maybe even a PhD without the painful head death.
Love the costume, and the background is so you. Aren't you glad we raised you in an unfinished house...oh no, did that somehow influence the unfinished thesis?...no, I'm really a bad mother. Okay, so it's actually not about me. I've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy. But thank you for giving me the opportunity to comment on your blog instead of writing the paper I have due tomorrow.

Morgan said...

Awesome- I had forgotten that I can blame you and dad for my flaws. Thanks for the reminder- but then, I guess that's what mothers are for! Also, the fact that you are the first person to comment on my blog really gives me some street cred.