Sunday, November 18, 2007

November

November is an elegaic month: lost leaves, more often than not, lost lives. Today my mother phoned while I was cooking dinner, and I immediately heard the "bad news breaking" implication of her calm tone. My uncle has been in the hospital, and though he's not in any intense or immediate danger, I have been dreading the bad news voice. Haven't really wanted to hear the phone ring at all. While there was some news about the scheduling and specifics of his upcoming surgery, the call was made primarily to inform me that my step-grandmother had passed away.

She had the best of conceivable ends, her daughter by her side, members of her church's chorus in attendance and singing. It's reported that she went with a smile.

I always try to imagine the encroaching darkness of winter as a blanket, see this time of year in a positive light. There's a comfort in some endings, be it the end of the day, a year, or a life. Still, November, with its chill and damp... so hard to trust, so difficult to relax. For all that I love the ride, it's not great, being a mailboat away from the family. At least it's not Iowa.

No comments: