Monday, May 4, 2009

On Spring and Linear Equations

Have you been able to focus your attention? Spring and all?

Well, you are a better person than me.

I've been baking, cleaning, hiking, purloining daffodils, taking cuttings from my geranium, and planting seeds in pots. Yes, there has been work too. But not blogging. The puttering and wandering has been too good, and the latest social bombshell too bad. Living in a microcosm is pretty intense, and if I sat down to write about it right now, with grace, maturity, and a searching heart, my head would go kablooey.

So I am wandering through the forest courting lyme disease, marauding for the flowers the deer won't eat, and other things of high importance. Oh yes, getting my feet wet with spring time woods muck.

Did a smidge of math tutoring last night, which was beautiful- linear equations. When else is life ever so straightforward and dependable? Learn the identity of the pieces, the rules and relationships, and voila- you know exactly what to expect every time. How a mad species like humans came up with such a relaxingly sane system of thought will never cease to amaze me.

So easy to navigate, so satisfying to work through. Nice, neat, and orderly. In a short space of time you can find an answer and know it is the right one. Now, finding the x-intercept of a line may have absolutely no bearing on anything in reality, but hot damn, it is an absolute answer, nonetheless! And I will whole-heartedly embrace it for sake of having sooooooomething be absolute.

Algebra, cake ingredients, dirt (literal! not figurative). I am focusing on the good stuff.

No comments: