Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shouting into the Abyss With Mr. May

One must keep one's promises.

While I was on the dock, yes, I dropped to my knees. And having rambled on a bit, I looked up to the sky and saw the first star of the night.

"Star light star bright, first star I see tonight...
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight..."

And then you have to think real hard. I almost said "I wish I knew if you were a star or a satellite." Happily I manage to squelch that one, 'cause it would be the stupidest wish of all time. And then you struggle- world peace, or a wii?

Or in my case, you smirk and say "please send me my true love!"

Knowing full well the universe is going to twist it into a wry joke. But you know- there are worse things than excellent companionship.

So I walk home, and don't think about it much again.

And during dinner my phone rings, and the voice on the other end is rich like a good alcohol- belonging to exactly the person I needed to talk to. The man outside my family I have loved the longest and the most.

Take that, disgruntled reader.

No comments: