Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Consolation

The very word is like a bandaid, grabbing hold with that percussive "c," wrapping you in the vowels, soothing you with "s" sounds, and then closing neatly on the "n." It is a beautiful word- in my mind right up there with the worthiest of names: "Charity," "Prudence," "Grace," and one of my all time favorites, "Mercy." Obviously it never does to name a girl "Chastity" or "Faith." Statistically speaking, those names invite irony. Chastity and Faith aside, I can well imagine saddling a child with the name "Consolation."

Of course that child's one consolation is that she is entirely hypothetical.

Speaking of Consolation, lets talk about one of my personal betes noirs, the month of November. I was raised to distrust it. No good could come of such a dark, cold, time, when the world as we know it in New England becomes a barren place, bereft of leaves and light. November is the month that devours the depressed, and starts turning the thumbscrews of another winter. Scorpios. Need I say more?

So imagine my surprise when October- October of the golden light and firework foliage!- proved itself as dastardly as any too-beautiful sadist. I am still telling myself it is only this particular October, and that one cannot fault Octobers in general- not like you can November.

And now there is this November, which quickly delivered a balmy election day, one so warm I could play soccer in my tee-shirt. This evening was so mild I could walk about in just my sweater, and as I gazed up at the hazy half-moon it brought to mind the most beautiful night of this past summer.

At this late date, after a disastrous October, is November really going to play the gentleman?
I surely hope so.
It certainly opened with an breath-taking act of promise.

2 comments:

Lauren Celestia said...

this was a more obtuse one. I still liked it but I just couldn't shake the not know exactly what the consolation was for...

Morgan said...

Consolation for the ugly events of October. Consolation for the dark days, the tension on island, the underbelly of the human mind revealed.